Hesitant to help...
You might know of abuse happening to a neighbour, friend or family member, but it’s not always easy to know what to do about it. You tell yourself that you don’t want to make the situation worse, but you also want to help. Speak up, SPEAK OUT!
I am concerned about...
- I don’t want them to become angry with me
- I don’t know what to say
- I might make things worse
- I feel like it is none of my business
- I am scared the abuser will target me and my family
- It is not serious enough to involve police or other officials
- They don’t want to leave, because they keep going back
- It doesn’t involve me
- If they wanted help, they would have asked
But I should consider...
- The power of showing that I care can make a big difference.
- By doing nothing I could be making the situation even worse.
- It could be a matter of life or dearth, Violence affects us all.
- If my wellbeing is under threat, I can also go to the police.
- Police are trained to handle situations like this and can help.
- They might not have had the right support.
- POLICE: 112 / 10111
- STOP GBV HELPLINE: 0800 150 150
- GBV CRISIS CENTRE: 0800 428 428
- CHILDLINE: 0800 055 555